Sunday, March 1, 2009

Download YouTube and TeacherTube for NoteBook

This is an optional exercise. If you would like to import Youtube/Teachertube videos as flash files into the Notebook. In class I showed the following video
SMART Boards in Belgium video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jOelYYjN_k. This is a video that I use when opening a SMART Board class, it shows students interacting with the SMART Board. I have the file downloaded so I can play even if the network is down. See below for techniques to download videos.

Option 1
Using Firexfox as your browser.You will need to installed downloadhelper for your browser prior to using. In this :60 Sec Tech you will learn how to download a video from youtube, teachertube, or any other flash video site to your computer, and then import it into your smarttech notebook software.
Option 2
Using Internet Explorer and Zamzar
You can use Zamzar (http://zamzar.com/) to request a download in various file formats, You will need to provide an email address and will be notified when the the file is ready. To use in noteblook (.flv for moviemaker or powerpoint .avi) will work.

There are two reasons to do this. First, so that you can cut down on transition time between showing a video and using your smartboard and if YouTube is blocked in your school you will have access to the file. The second reason is so that you will not have to see any of the other linked videos or advertisements on that particular video page. Please remember, that copyright policies need to be thought of when downloading copyrighted materials.

4 comments:

  1. Just got this to work. Can't wait to show it to the teachers at school this week. I might even work it into my project somewhere this week.

    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use Zamzar or firefox/download helper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used firefox/download helper...

    Pretty cool. I was surprised when it ACTUALLY worked on the first try. I was watching the 60 sec tech clip on it - it is pretty easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary,
    I actually think I did this - I can't wait to try it out tomorrow at school

    ReplyDelete